Sunday, April 18, 2010

Union Ball

Yesterday was a nice day. The weather was great, sunny and warm. It really felt like Spring with the flowers blooming, birds chirping and me smiling while riding my bike through town :) I met up with two teammates at an outdoor cafe in the town square and we chatted for about two hours. We talked about the summer and all that it will hold for the three of us. It was nice after the past few days had been grey and rainy outside.



After the nice afternoon spent with milkshakes and ice cream, I had to get ready for the Union Ball. This is a big dance organized by our sports organization that oversees softball, baseball, track and field, other dance classes, etc. It was fun, but not what I expected. When they said "Ball" I was assuming that is would be like the Beauty and the Beast and the event would be in a grand ballroom. There are Balls like this in Vienna in the Winter that cost an arm and a leg, but you have to book them years in advance or be lucky enough to have your work organization book far in advance. Instead, our Ball was held in a car warehouse/office. It was much more low key than I was expecting. There was very little space to dance by the live band and there was only cover songs being played. I thought that there would be by Mozart and everyone would be doing the Viennese Waltz, but I think that is just what I expected because of my Dad. When I was home over the winter, my Dad tried to teach me the Viennese Waltz but to no avail. The one thing my Dad told me that I had to do when I was in Austria was to go to a ball and do the Waltz. I think it is one of his dreams for him or one of his daughters to go to a Ball and be able to dance well and technically correct. Unfortunately for my Dad, there was no such dancing going on at this event. In addition, my friends and I were mostly hanging out in a separate room with a DJ playing TOP 40 songs.

It was nice to see a bunch of the baseball guys and softball girls all dressed up in suits and dresses. It is funny to see how different people look all cleaned up. Here is a silly picture of Walter and I. We took several pictures, but of course in each picture one of us was always making a funny face.



Also, my team was selling coffee and slices of cake to help raise a little bit of money for the team. Unfortunately, there were not as many people at the event as there had been in the past. Also, our spot was down a hallway and tucked away in the corner so it was hard for people to even find our little room we had. I do not think we raised that much money, but the cakes looked fantastic!! Overall, it was a fun night with friends, taking pictures, making jokes, doing a little bit of dancing and wearing high heels that I am regretting now because my feet still hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment