Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kaprun, Zell am See, Salzburg

On Sunday I went to Kaprun to visit a family that I might potentially become an au-pair for. Kaprun is about an hour and a half south of Salzburg. In the area of Kaprun there is the mountain Kitzsteinhorn which is part of the Hohe Tauern range in the eastern Alps and reaches a height of 3203 m above sea level or 10,500 feet. It is a glacier so you can ski and snowboard there all year round. Kaprun is a small town with 3,000 people and reminds me of Whistler, Canada. All of the buildings are really cool and everything revolves around the ski season. The family was really nice and they have two little girls that were very sweet and easy to play with. If I stayed there, I would definitely learn how to ski and live for the first time in a small ski village.

I stayed there Sunday night and got some play and talk time in with the family. I even got to work out at the gym in town while the mother Claudia taught an aerobics class :) Unfortunately, the weather was not so great, mostly cloudy and rainy.
I then spent some time walking around Zell am See where I would take the train back home. It is a very pretty town with a big lake(See is lake in german) and cool little shops. I did stop at a little cafe for some fresh Apple Struedel and a coffee.

I then took the train to Salzburg in hopes of better weather. The train ride is great in this area. There are high mountain ranges covered in snow and beautiful green hillsides. Salzburg was nice. The weather was cloudy to start, then rained hard for like 15 mins then got clear and sunny. Totally weird. While walking around the Palace I ran into a guy from West Covina which was really funny and he was really excited to find someone to talk with from California. He noticed me from my CSUN shirt I was wearing. I need to wear this more often when traveling because I had someone notice me when I was in Heidelberg, Germany and he was from Santa Clarita. Small world sometimes.

I did a lot of walking and taking pictures. I like this city because there is a cool Castle/Fortress on top of a hill overlooking the city. Its also fun walking around because I can eaves drop on almost everyone. There were tons and tons of tourists and I was able to sneak in on a few different English tour groups at some of the sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment